The Records Division is an integral part of the Lorain County Sheriff’s Office. The clerical staff has evolved over the past several years from a 2 person operation to an expanded staff to meet the needs of a 24 hour day and 7 day week operation. The Records Division maintains all records that are used in the operation of the Sheriff’s Office. The Lorain County Sheriff’s Office is responsible to maintain the public’s records and provide copies within a reasonable time during regular business hours, which are Monday-Friday 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM (Except Legal Holidays).
Those seeking public records will be charged a prepayment fee of the actual cost of making the copies, which is permissible by law. Fees are as follows:
· Paper copies - $.05 per page
· Downloaded computer files to a compact disc - $1.00 per disc
For those requesting documents to be mailed, the cost will be $.05 per page and a self-addressed stamped envelope.
Beginning October 16, 2009, section 5502.12 of the Ohio Revised Code mandates the cost of an accident report to be $4.00 per report.
The clerical staff handles much more than routine telephone calls, citizens coming into the lobby and report requests. Other duties include, but are not limited to the following:
· Copying, distributing, filing and maintaining all offense reports generated by law enforcement personnel, including criminal reports, auto accidents and traffic citations.
· Entering/Deleting arrest warrants as they are received and served by law enforcement via the LEADS computer (Law Enforcement Automated Data System).
· Conducting background check requests for such purposes as employment, housing, adoption, foster care and child care purposes. (See WebCheck/Background check link below for fees and hours of operation). http://www.loraincountysheriff.com/Page.aspx?ID=186
· Processing data to the FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation) for Uniform Crime Reporting (Statistics).
· Processing data to BCI&I (Bureau of Criminal Investigation & Identification) for Domestic Violence statistics.
· Processing of Concealed Carry Applications and issuing approved licenses and suspending licenses for violations of the law. (See Conceal Carry link for additional information on fees and hours of operations). http://www.loraincountysheriff.com/Page.aspx?ID=184
· Sex Offender registrations (See Sex Offender location link to find offenders living in your area and/or sign up on the Sheriff’s website to receive e-mail notifications of sexual offenders moving into your neighborhood). http://www.loraincountysheriff.com/Locator.aspx
· Overseeing the Lorain County Sheriff’s Office Jail Work Furlough program.